Crossflon® Skidway SystemsPTFE Skidway Plates, Lubricants & Membranes
Crossflon® Skidway Systems
Crossflon® skidway systems are used to aid the skidding of topsides, jackets and other heavy fabrications. A structure weighing in excess of 47,000 tonnes has been successfully loaded out on a Crossflon® skidway system.
We offer a range of Crossflon® skidway plates to suit customers individual requirements. A typical Crossflon® skidway plate consists of 2.5mm thick dimpled Crossflon® XF225 sheet hot cure factory bonded under controlled conditions to a 3mm thick carbon steel plate. Crossflon® skidway plates are normally manufactured with a 25mm welding lip. This prevents the Crossflon® XF225 from being damaged when the Crossflon® skidway plates are tack welded into position. The PTFE (Teflon™) / steel bond line and all upper exposed carbon steel surfaces are generally supplied coated with paint to protect against corrosion.
Advantages of Crossflon® Skidway Systems
- Crossflon® PTFE (Teflon™) has the lowest coefficient of friction of any known solid engineered material including lubricated metal and there is no stick / slip action.
- Crossflon® XF225 is unaffected by water as the moisture absorption is less than 0.01%.
- The life of Crossflon® XF225 is indefinite as it is unaffected by chemicals and weather.
- Not subject to fatigue failure.
- Ease of installation.
- Shear value of the bond exceeds that of Crossflon® PTFE (Teflon™).
- Far less bulky than alternative assemblies.
- Operating temperature ranges from -40ºC to +120ºC. Alternative bonding sytems are available for temperatures outside this range.
- Maintenance is not required. Capable of operating completely dry as Crossflon® XF225 will never cold weld to itself.
- Provides electrical and thermal insulation thereby minimising galvanic corrosion and heat loss.
- Vibration dampening.
- Able to absorb small particles without increasing the coefficient of friction.
- Crossflon® XF225 is chemically inert.
- Able to accommodate minor misalignment during construction.